Tuesday, May 21, 2024
HomePolicingA number of firearms officers returned back to armed duty in last...

A number of firearms officers returned back to armed duty in last 24 hours after media reported many were handing in their weapons, Met stated

The Metropolitan Police said that some armed officers have returned in the past 24 hours after media reported that many of them were handing in their weapons after one marksman was charged with murder.

On Thursday an armed officer, who has only been identified as NX121, appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court and also the Old Bailey charged with murdering Mr Kaba on September 5 last year.

On Sunday, the Home Secretary ordered a review into armed policing after reports of many handing in their guns. Ms Suella Braverman said that officers have her full backing.

An update statement released today by the Met read: “We are aware of media reporting suggesting that all firearms officers have stepped back from armed duties.

“This is not correct. There are armed Met officers, including counterterrorism officers, on duty across London.

“Many are worried about how the decision impacts on them, on their colleagues and on their families. They are concerned that it signals a shift in the way the decisions they take in the most challenging circumstances will be judged.

“A number of officers have taken the decision to step back from armed duties while they consider their position but in the past 24 hours some have returned.”

The Metropolitan Police Service reported that they are in ongoing discussions with those officers to support them and to fully understand the genuinely held concerns that they have.

The Met has a significant firearms capability and the force continues to have armed officers deployed in communities across London as well as at other sites including Parliament, diplomatic premises, airports etc.

The Met stated: “To ensure that we can continue to keep the public safe and respond to any eventualities, since Saturday evening Met firearms officers have been supported by a limited number of armed officers from other UK forces.

“The Ministry of Defence has agreed to a request to provide the Met with counterterrorism support should it be needed.

“This is a contingency option that would only be used in specific circumstances and where an appropriate policing response was not available.

“Armed forces personnel will not be used in a routine policing capacity.

“We will keep these measures under review. Met officers still make up the vast majority of armed resources deployed across London.”

(Source: Metropolitan Police, edited)

RELATED ARTICLES

Stay Connected

34,507FansLike
14,825FollowersFollow
4,767FollowersFollow

Must Read