Tuesday, May 21, 2024
HomeCrimeMan arrested for stabbing attack at London hospital

Man arrested for stabbing attack at London hospital

A man has been arrested after one person was left in a life-threatening condition and another was injured in a stabbing attack at a London hospital on 21 June.

Police said the man arrested at Central Middlesex Hospital in Park Royal also sustained “self-inflicted” injuries.

The hospital was temporarily locked down but has since reopened with a heightened police presence.

One witness described how patients and visitors were locked in a nurses’ room while police dealt with the incident.

Staff were evacuated from the hospital building.

The Met Police said it was satisfied no-one else was being sought and that the stabbings were not being treated as terror-related.

The attack was reported at 13:18 BST. Officers found two people with stab injuries.

Paramedics said they treated three people.

The Met said: “The first victim has injuries that are being treated as life-threatening.

“The second victim’s injuries are not being treated as life-threatening.”

Police arrested a man outside the hospital. He has also been conveyed to hospital having received injuries that are believed to be self-inflicted. His condition is being treated as life-threatening.

Eye-witnesses describe the event

Jamie Hogg, a contractor who saw the incident unfold, said he and his colleagues were visiting the hospital to carry out work and he saw police “just swarming in”.

“It was armed police, one after another, one after another, and they just sprinted straight into the hospital,” he said.


“I’ve never seen anything like this before in my life, I thought it was crazy. It’s quite hard to believe.”

He described the incident as “scary”, continuing: “It could have been any of us. I don’t know what were the reasons that drove him to that.”

Amie Ferris-Rotman, who was visiting the hospital dialysis unit with her father, told Sky News police checked the area where they were, before locking them in a nurses’ room for about 45 minutes.

She said: “All the dialysis patients were quite freaked out.”

“And at one point those who were about to go on to dialysis were put in wheelchairs and brought into a room, which is where we were as well, and they were locked in.”

Detectives have been carrying bags of evidence out of the hospital, including a clear bag containing what appeared to be clothing.

London Ambulance Service said it had sent an incident response officer, an advanced paramedic, an ambulance crew and a medic in a fast-response car, as well as a hazardous area response team and the air ambulance.

(Source: BBC)

(Image: By Martenrolls – Own work, CC BY 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=79079258)


Stay Connected


Must Read