Thursday, May 30, 2024
HomeCourtsPrisoner whose attack on prison officer seen on CCTV sentenced to 14...

Prisoner whose attack on prison officer seen on CCTV sentenced to 14 years

A prisoner who attacked a prison officer at HMP Bullingdon in July 2021 was sentenced to 14 years after pleading guilty to one count each of attempted murder and unauthorised possession in prison of a knife or offensive weapon at Oxford Crown Court on Thursday 25 May.

Kevin Jones, 41, attacked a male prison officer at around 10.10am on 17 July 2021 while the officer was escorting another prisoner to his cell on the Blackthorn Unit at HMP Bullingdon in Patrick Haugh Road.

Jones was a prisoner on the unit at this time, and had a pre-existing grudge against the officer.

The attack was caught on CCTV.

Jones was seen on CCTV to stalk the victim around the unit until they were both on the same landing at the same time, outside the wing office.

As the victim walked past him, Jones pulled a sharpened plastic knife out of his pocket.

Jones lunged at the officer and swung the weapon at him, attempting to make contact with the victim’s neck but the victim was alert to the danger and managed to avoid the attack.

Jones was restrained on the floor by other officers and subsequently moved to segregation.


During an interview afterwards, Jones admitted his intention was to stab and kill the officer with the weapon he had created.

Investigating officer PC Andrew Gold, of the Prison Crime Team, said: “This was a very serious and unprovoked attack on a prison officer in the course of his duties.

“This is something Thames Valley Police simply will not tolerate and will always seek to bring offenders before the courts.

“Had the victim not been so alert as to the danger he was in and avoid the attack, the outcome could have been very different.

“Fortunately, the victim did not receive any physical injuries but he has suffered mentally, such as stress and anxiety, which has affected both his professional and personal lives.

“I am very pleased that the courts recognised the significant threat posed by Jones, and imposed a substantial custodial sentence.”

(Source: Thames Valley Police)


Stay Connected


Must Read